The Jaganmohan Palace was constructed in 1861. The Palace is built in traditional Hindu style. It is one of the oldest Palace in Mysore. It was a house for Royal family when Mysore Palace was burnt completely and constructed a new Palace in 1897. The installation of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV was conducted here in 1902. Lord Curzon, the Viceroy and Governor-General of India attended it. Jaganmohan palace also has an auditorium which is used for traditional dance performances, music festivals and other cultural programs mainly during the period of Dasara.
In 1915, the palace was converted into an art gallery, which was later renamed in 1955 in the name of HH Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar, as the Sri Jayachamarajendra Art Gallery. The gallery contains some of the paintings of Raja Ravi Varma which depicts some of the scenes from Hindu epics, Ramayana and Mahabharatha. The early convocations of Mysore university was held in this Palace. The first session of the Legislative council was also held here. The art gallery contains largest collection of paintings.